Over the past few months, I have realized that although not being able to have a child of my own is very upsetting, I have been blessed in the fact that I have not had to deal with the loss of a child. A couple times a week I have to drive past the Valley Children's Hospital and once I had to go in to see a friend's sick newborn. Each time I realize how sheltered my life has been. At this point in my life I have not experienced this heartache and misery. There are days that I think my life is horrible and then I am quickly humbled by the thought that there is someone worse off than me.
I have been following a blog for a couple of weeks about a young couple pregnant with their first child. Shortly before learning the sex of the child, the doctors discovered that the baby had a disorder called Trisomy 18. This is a disorder where basically every cell in your body has 3 chromosomes instead of 2. The body is too confused to grow properly. About 95% of these children die in utero. Those that are fortunate enough to survive long enough to be born die within minutes of birth. This couple carried their son to full term and delivered him today via c-section. They were able to hold him for 16 minutes before he returned to Heaven.
I could never imagine going through this. The day you give birth to your child should be the most joyous day of your life, but instead this couple had to celebrate life and death. As selfish as this may sound, I am very thankful for the trial of infertility and not this. Sunday night James and I took a walk. I told him about this couple and how sad my heart was for them. He told me if we ever had to deal with this, he would have a room at the psych ward ready for me after the child passed away. I know we are only given what God knows we can handle. Because of that I am very thankful that God knows me personally!!
(If you would like to read about this couple, you can read their blog at http://sgirl79.blogspot.com )
3 comments:
I really do agree with the concept that the Lord does not give us more than we can handle. I admire Staci and her husband so much for all that they are going through right now. Especially, how they have stayed so faithful during their whole ordeal!
Thank you for sharing your feelings with us Kresta. I also have been following the blog about the couple who lost their baby the day it was born. It has all been so humbling. Thankfully Heavenly Father is in charge and someday that couple will be happy again and will be blessed in ways they don't even know about yet.
If we could only see the end from the beginning, this life would be so much easier. I know you will get your baby. I have no doubt. Whether it comes through you or someone else, it will be YOUR child. You sure have many praying for you.
Oh Kresta, it sounds like you are dealing with this whole ordeal so gracefully and strong. Adoption is just as beautiful thing as giving birth to your own child. My little brother is adopted and he's as much my brother as he would be if my mom gave birth to him. Plus, you'll be saving a baby from a family (or lack of) that wasn't prepared to love and care for them like you are. That's a gift that I hope I could someday give a child too.
Post a Comment